Presbyterian Cemetery History
In 1823, six elders of the Presbyterian church purchased two acres from Edward Lynch, son of John Lynch (Lynchburg City founder). The current Trustees of the Cemetery, elders of First Presbyterian and Westminster Presbyterian Churches in Lynchburg, remain committed to providing interment spaces and personal service to meet the current and future needs consistent with preservation of the Cemetery's historic landscape.
Over 213 Confederate soldiers are buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery, making it one of the largest Lynchburg-area Confederate burial sites. Those resting in the Cemetery include members of the military from generals to privates, merchants, doctors, lawyers, educators, businessmen, artists, and ministers. Some markers or monuments mark the place of origin of the deceased, where their descendents can be traced back to Ireland, Scotland, and many other European countries.
The architecture of sculptures and art reflect these cultures, as some sculptures look Gothic while others appear Georgian or Celtic. The most dramatic stone is a weeping angel bending over in grief. The angel's companion appears not far away, with another angel standing holding a trumpet to signal the rapture. Some stones are made of marble, while others are made from more modern granite that weathers quite well. Intricate colors of gray, pink, and black can be seen throughout the Cemetery in sculptures and art. When first purchased in 1823, the grounds needed much care to bring them to the park-like feel they have today. Local author Mrs. Mary Anthony Cabell wrote in 1858 the contrast of the grounds appearance from 1824, "...and it was then a dreary spot, without shade or verdure, but by tender, diligent culture by surviving friends, trees have sprung up…the grass has overspread these sacred enclosures, whilst roses have blossomed, resembling in their beauty the sweet early dayspring of life" (Lynchs Ferry, Spring/Summer, 1998).
If you would like genealogy or other historical information, please call the office during normal business hours at (434) 845-0551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Presbyterian Cemetery is honored to be the final resting place of many notable and historical figures.
Cemetery Founding Elders
- John R.D. Payne
- Thomas A. Holcombe
- John Caskie
- John C. Reid
- James Warwick
- John M. Gordon
- Dr. James Brown - 1824
(First burial in Cemetery)
- Brig. General Samuel Garland Jr. - 1862
(South Mountain near Boonsboro, MD)
- Maj. General Robert Emmet Rodes - 1864
(Battle of Winchester)
- Lt. Col. Edward J. Steptoe - 1865
(United States Army & Indian Advocate)
- Max Guggenheimer Jr. - 1912
(Merchant Prince, beneficence was a hospital)
- Alex McDonald (Diplomat) 1897
(Minister to Persia)
- Otway Anna Carter Owen - 1852
(Great niece of George Washington)
- Emma Serena Dillard Stovall - 1980
(Noted painter known as Queena Stovall)
- Raymond David Booth - 1990
(Cemetery superintendent 43 Years)
- Henry Richard Mahler, Jr. 2006
(Presbyterian Minister, scholar, poet)
- From Ireland - Dolan, Boyd, Kinnier
- From England - Stevenson, Stevens,
- From Germany - Madans, Morton, Shaner,
- From Norway - Frederickson
- From Italy - Casesta